So, I thought I had a grasp of the insanity that Google Maps has become… I was wrong.
If you read my last post on this topic, you’ll remember that I learned that a map is no longer a map in Google’s eyes. I did a little more searching to try to come up with a plan for my client yesterday and this is what I found:
- When you do a search for their type of business + their location they do not appear in the 7 pack of Map Results on the first page of the Google search results – though I expected this after my last go round
- If you click on the link for the actual Map itself, you are taken to a map of their town with pins for over 20 businesses of their type, but my client does not display on the map
- My client is the 11th listing displayed if you click on the little “List All Results” icon – which takes you to a page with the map in the right column and text listings in the left column – they are the first listing on page two of this configuration
- Yet, they do not appear on the map unless or until you click to the second page of the map text listings
THIS MAKES NO SENSE.
I spoke to someone at Google Places to find out if there was some kind of account issue that was causing my client’s Places Page to be considered the #11 map text result for service + town, but that was preventing it from being shown on the initial map. Here is what I was told:
- There is no correlation between the relevance assigned to the text listing and being shown as a point on the map (seriously?!?)
- Points on the map are considered search results and are therefore determined by Google’s search results algorithms
- Rep specifically said that he could not help or even really discuss how or why this happens because it is not a Map/Places issue but rather a search results issue
- From the very moment you enter in a search term into Google, the results are sculpted based on “many factors” determined by Google to provide results that would be “most relevant” to you – including maps
I don’t even know what to say about this. The more I dig into it to try to get my client onto the map, where they rightfully belong, the less I feel like I can even explain to them why they are not already appearing on the map.
I should also mention that this particular client is the #5 organic result for the search term of service + location. So, I really want to know how they are not considered relevant for this search query. Apparently, they are relevant enough and of high enough quality to beat out big players to be #5, but not relevant enough to display on the map.
I really do want to write about topics other than Google, but when things like this happen, I just feel like it warrants a post!