So unless you’ve been living under a rock or in outer Mongolia for the past couple of years, you’ve probably found yourself wondering what the heck you should be doing to take part in this brave new world of social media to advance your career or business…
The prospect can really be quite overwhelming – which media to choose? How to choose? What to post? How often to post? How to interact with others? When not to engage with others? The questions can seem endless!
The good news is, that social media, like anything else is something you can figure out one step at a time. When you break it down into reasonable steps, it suddenly seems like an achievable goal. And don’t we all want to set achievable goals?!?
A few questions to get you started:
- Who is my target audience?
- Where do they spend the most time – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Yelp, YouTube, etc.?
- How much time do you have to commit to social media on a weekly basis?
- Who in your organization will be responsible for keeping your presence up?
- Who will develop your social media policies?
Developing and implementing a social media strategy takes time and effort, but beginning to think about these questions is a great place to start!